New!

EyeQue

UX Research

Time: Fall 2018

Role: UX Researcher

Tools: Google Suite

Skills: Journey Mapping, User Testing

Introduction

During the Fall semester of 2018, I was invited to collaborate on a client project with a few other students in the Interactive Media Studies Department. EyeQue is a relatively new tech company based in Newark, CA that offers at home vision products. The two products that we analyzed included the Personal Vision Tracker (PVT), and Insight.

Although winning many awards for their products, the average user has been unable to interact with the hardware/app comfortably.

Initial Thoughts

Getting Hands On

When the group first met to set goals and get to know the project a little more, we were given the products that we were researching. With an hour or two to kill, we learned a lot by going through each of the products and getting a good sense of what they were about. More importantly, we saw first hand exactly what the company was falling short of. From packaging to using their app, everyone in the group had trouble at one point or another. By experiencing pain points ourselves, we were able to form detailed questions for when we crafted the testing later.

Talking to Reps

A week after we had gotten to see the products and gather some information, two representatives from EyeQue were able to hop on a video conference. Some of the questions we had about the product were able to be answered, which helped us direct the research on the right things. Current problems we brought up were being worked on already, which was good to hear. The best part about talking to the reps is hearing what the company wanted from the research. After receiving this information, we were able to focus our time towards providing the right insights in the final presentation.

Conducting Tests

Forming Questions

Once we had gotten our own hands on the two products and gotten some specific goals from employees at EyeQue, it was time to form scripts for testing. We began by organizing how we wanted to introduce the product. The participants wouldn't know exactly what the test was going to be about, but we wanted to make sure they brought a phone to download the two applications for each product. Here are some main goals we set out for the Personal Vision Tracker, and Insight.

For each of the products we wanted to make sure that we let them figure out what each product was supposed to do. By letting them tell us what the product was during the unboxing process, we were able to get a good sense of whether or not users were less likely to buy it because of problems with packaging.

Given that users would have both positive and negative experiences during the test, we wanted to see how that might translate into usability and sales. To get this information, we asked participants to answer:

Could you see yourself using this/these products on a frequent basis? Do you prefer going into your optometrist, or using EyeQue?

Interviewing Participants

We took detailed notes during the time they were taking the test. For the most part, we wanted to gather what went well or poorly during the interaction with the product. To ensure we were capturing all the data we could, we made sure to record each interview. This helped us go back through the film and make sure we didn't miss key positives or negatives. Along with this, we were able to get solid examples to include in our presentation to the client.

Presenting to Client

Gathering Insights

With the interviews complete, the team started to divide up and review all the film. While we watched the interviews back, we took the time to find commonalities in each of the tests. After a few meetings to clear up what we believe was the largest UX problems with the app or hardware, it was time to craft a presentation. When looking at what we had collected, we came to a consensus on how to structure our findings. The packaging would come first, followed by the Personal Vision Tracker and Insight.

Final Presentation

We wanted to give the company concrete examples of people using their product and encountering problems. To accompany the videos, we gave a review of the problems and then provided our recommendations on how to improve the UX. Andrea, our team lead, recorded a video presentation for them to send to executives at EyeQue. Once the video was sent out, the representatives wanted to hear more from us on what we believed was hindering their sales, but more importantly what concrete ideas we had to improve their UX.

Takeaways

This was my first experience working on a research focused UX project. I gained lots of knowledge about how to set up user testing (setting goals, crafting questions, etc.), and presenting findings to a client. The link to our final slide deck can be found here. If I were to do another project like this again, I would have definitely liked to have build out a mock-up of our proposed solutions. In the end I was able to grow a collaborator, and designer. I plan on taking what I learned and apply that to conducting A/B tests involving new/improved product features at a company.

Return Home